Monitoring Multiple Success Metrics (Bubble Charts)

One of the core tenets of business intelligence and to making intelligent decisions for your business is to never treat metrics as if they exist in a vacuum. In other words, whatever metric is being measured must be cross-referenced against other metrics or external factors.

For example, someone measuring a Customer Service Representative’s performance handling issues on the phone might be tempted to pay attention only to how many issues the rep closes in a day. Of course, the glaring problem in doing that is that the rep closing the most tickets might have the lowest CSAT rates, or the lowest upsell rates.

So... what's the point, Joe?

(•̀ᴗ•́)و Use Bubble Charts to Get a Unified View on Multiple Success Metrics! (•̀ᴗ•́)و

For this example, let’s build a bubble chart to measure a Customer Success rep’s Zendesk info: amount of closed tickets, upsell conversions, and CSAT rating this quarter.

First step, we’ll drag the appropriate columns over.

Next, we need to reorder the columns so that the first few columns are numeric.

Now we’re good to go! We’ve got tickets closed on the X-axis, revenue from upsells on the Y-axis, and CSAT as the size of each bubble. I also decided to clone the Bubble Chart after I saved it and visualized it as a table underneath.

To illustrate my earlier point, we can compare two specific reps…

Had we been looking solely at the amount of closed tickets as our metric-in-a-vacuum, we’d be heaping all the praise & prizes on Larry Jacobs, without realizing that he very rarely upsells and his CSAT rating is abysmal! By utilizing the bubble chart, we might argue that Kelly Robinson is our best overall agent - she’s above average at how quickly she resolves issues, she successfully upsells a ton, and her CSAT is off the charts!

Behold the magic of bubble charts! (∩`-´)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚