Separate Team Schemas / Utilizing Multiple Data Source Connections to the Same Underlying Data Source

Chartio has a lot of features to aid in modeling and reflecting your data in the most streamlined and team-appropriate manner. You can utilize our Schema Editor to rename or hide tables and columns, define metrics to keep calculations uniform, even create a new table to act as a sandbox for specific users or teams to explore their data. All of this is done without affecting your original underlying data source.

Now think about all that functionality used in concert with multiple connections to the same underlying data source – that’s a lot of partitioning power and ease-of-use potential!

Let’s see a real world example.

I want to create a version of my DB that is specifically for my Sales team. On top of exposing only certain tables to the entire team, I also want to make it as easy as humanly possible for the sales guys (who have absolutely zero knowledge of how the underlying DB is organized or what any specific columns mean) to use Interactive mode and the Data Pipeline.

This way they’ll be able to dig into the metrics near and dear to them without needing to waste any time learning column names or data structures.

###Creating a Sales-specific data source connection

In Chartio you can connect to the same underlying data source as many times as you like. Just plug in the same details and give this data source connection the alias “Sales.”

After you hit connect, choose the tables that are relevant to sales:

Modeling Data for Ease-of-Use

Once I’ve accepted the tables I want to reflect for this connection, I can then create Custom Columns to define sales-relevant metrics, like what I’ve done here for making sure everyone’s discounting in the same way:

While I’m here, I can set up foreign keys so that the salespeople can drag and drop against different tables without needing to know how the tables relate:

I can also use custom tables to combine entire tables or just parts of them to create views that are specific to certain sales teams:

I can even use Chartio’s Interactive Mode to build the SQL for the custom table. Watch as I create a simple view with only the most important metrics prefiltered for myself:

I also went over to the General tab and selected Interactive Mode Only for the Query Mode for this connection to the data source - my sales team has zero SQL experience and I don’t want them to even be able to have access to edit the SQL generated by the drag-n-drop.

Finally, I can create a new Team called Sales and give them access only to this new data source connection.

That’s it for this Chartio tip!

Different Teams Using Chartio Differently!
:chart_with_upwards_trend::nerd: :pray: :sunglasses: :bar_chart:

To recap, we used multiple data source connections in concert with custom tables, columns, and query modes to essentially build a separate Chartio schema for the sales team. There’s no limit or cost to how many data source connections you can have, so feel free to create as many connections as you like to model your data in the most intuitive way for each user’s needs.